MetaRouter makes it easy to send your data to AdWords (and lots of other destinations). Once you follow the steps below, your data will be routed through our platform and pushed to AdWords in the format they understand.
Why send data to AdWords using MetaRouter?
Getting Started with AdWords and MetaRouter
To get started with this integration, you’ll first need to have access to a AdWords account. The information that you’ll need moving forward is your AdWords link Id and dev token.
The AdWords destination allows you to make calls directly to AdWords based on your mapped events. All you have to do is to add your settings and map the Analytics.js track events to their corresponding AdWords labels in the configuration file as described below.
This configuration file allows you to set your own configuration based on how you interact with AdWords. Here’s a configuration file that includes all the settings that you can apply -
advertiserId are the only mandatory fields, everything else is optional.
- name: "adwords" config: linkId: "LINK_ID" dev_token: "DEV_TOKEN" events: - event: "Order Completed" label: "purchase" conversionId: "YYYYYYYYYYY" customVariables: checkout_id: "checkout_id" useDefaultMapping: false
linkId- String, required
- To authorize MetaRouter to track conversion events using the AdWords API on your behalf, you must generate a Link ID in your AdWords Account - see details here
dev_token- String, required
- Value available on your AdWords dashboard.
events- Object, optional
- Analytics.js event name
- AdWords recognizes labels, not custom events - we’ll use this label for this event on our calls to AdWords.
conversionId- String, optional
- You can opt to override the default conversion ID by setting one here.
customVariables- Object, optional
- Map Analytics.js event properties (on the left) to AdWords custom variables and we’ll insert the value of that property in the corresponding AdWords custom variables (on the right).
useDefaultMapping- Boolean, optional, default value
By default, we map some of the Analytics.js Standard E-commerce events to AdWords events, as follows:
Analytics.js event AdWords event
Product List Viewed
Generate a Link ID in your AdWords Account
Authorization between an AdWords account and a third-party-application is done via the use of a Link Id. This process is detailed here.
Once this step is complete, you should see a screen that looks like this showing the new Link Id: